Advice for a thru-hiker's camera setup?

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice for a thru-hiker's camera setup?
In reply to billybudd1, Jul 29, 2012

I agree with Stephen. That D40 you have is just fine. There's still a bit of a cult following for that camera and well there should be. It takes superb image if you do your job. Personally, I'd by a belt holster for it and use it all the time. It's very small and light weight and I doubt you'd ever notice it.

I'd only get the 55-200 for when you might see and want an image of wildlife and such. It's a telephoto and might not get the use your 18-55 would get. Don't leave that at home. Either will last for a long time past this hike and the next. The only lens I'd ever suggest in your case might be that little 40 f/2.8 macro lens or a 35 f/1.8 low light lens. Both are very small and light. The 40 will allow some closeups and very sharp normal shots. The 35 is sharp and will allow dimmer light shots.

I'd get an extra battery and plenty of SD memory cards.

Seriously though, just put the D40 with 18-55 kit lens in a belt holster and have fun. All shots are worth that quality level, not just the special ones. When it's time to make an image, think a little about it. Don't treat is like a point and shoot snap shot. Think of it hanging in a gallery. Create them all, even the fun and goofy ones. When you get a dud, erase it and try again.

My only concern is where and how you're going to charge the batteries and that you have enough SD mem cards.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow