EOS-M Touchscreen???

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brian Slater
Regular MemberPosts: 285
Like?
Re: EOS-M upgrade ??? curiosity question.... why so soon ?
In reply to c.hammett, Jul 28, 2012

c.hammett wrote:

Curiosity question .... I've seen this idea (higher end EOS M model pretty soon) mentioned several times on the forum in other threads. My brain hasn't figured this out yet, so can someone enlighten me as to why they would do this so close to an original offering ?? Wouldn't that compromise sales of the model just announced ?

Firstly, Canon's mirrorless competitors already have multiple models including some with more sophisticated features (for example: articulating screens, multiple direct physical control wheels, electronic or hybrid viewfinders, wifi, higher MP counts, higher frames per second, perhaps design cues that seem more enthusiast-oriented).

Secondly, just as there is a segmented market for DSLRs at various price points and a range of features to suit people of varied interest and means, it is clear that there is a demand for mirrorless cameras that are better specified (and consequently more expensive, though that is not a desired feature!)

Canon will need to address these market opportunities and appear to make a commitment to building a system if it is to really compete with Sony, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic and Samsung. I don't think they need to do that immediately (though some more lenses this year might be critical), but certainly within a year or so or they will be lapped.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow