Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Janet Zinn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,165Gear list
Like?
Venice, Italy: Festa del Redentore (Fireworks) D800
Jul 28, 2012

Was in Venice two weeks ago for the Festa del Redentore, a huge celebration commemorating the plague being driven out in 1576. The boats gather in St. Mark's basin and viewers line the waterfront to view spectacular fireworks that rival, if not beat, any I've ever seen here in the USA (and that includes the big Macy's July 4th in NYC.) A floating pontoon bridge is built which connects "mainland" Venice to the Redentore church on Guidecca island.

My D800 did splendidly. I only wish I had had a better position for shooting (we were at water's edge but had to shoot at an angle to avoid people's arms and legs dangling into the pictures.)

All taken with the D800 + Sigma 24mm 1.8. All but #1 on small tripod, using live view to frame, and cable release.

The pontoon bridge leading to the Redentore, right after dusk. People are starting to gather on the bridge, although the cops later chased them off as they could not stand there during the fireworks.

ISO 2500, F2, 1/13 handheld

All of the following are ISO 125, 6-8 seconds, F8 or F11 on tripod

Venice on fire! That's San Marco and the campanile in the far left.

Thanks for looking!
--
Janet
D 3 0 0 & D 3 0 0 s & D 8 0 0
http://www.jczinn.com

Janet Zinn's gear list:Janet Zinn's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow