Anyone upgrade from an LX5?

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Edgar Matias
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone upgrade from an LX5?
In reply to tkbslc, Jul 28, 2012

tkbslc wrote:

I have an LX5 as my travel camera. I only shoot it JPEG and 9/10 I am in P or Av mode. I was thinking with current prices on some lower end M4/3 I might "upgrade" it to a EPM1 or EPL2. Anyone take a similar route? Which lens did you pick?

My fear is that moving from an f2-3.3 zoom to a f3.5-5.6 will cancel out the advantage of the larger sensor. Going with one of the faster pancakes I wonder if can I live with no zoom on a travel camera?

If you're looking for DOF control, an m43 kit zoom will do nothing for you. It's not much better than the LX5. The RX100 is a little better, but not by much.

You should have a look at the Fuji x10 and Olympus XZ-1. They'll cut your DOF in half (on the long end) compared to your LX5.

The XZ-1 is really cheap now, because the XZ-2 is likely coming soon. As it stands, the XZ-1 is selling for less than $400 on Amazon.

Edgar Matias's gear list:Edgar Matias's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow