An older guy's thoughts about digital

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 20,714
Like?
Re: An older guy's thoughts about digital
In reply to GeraldW, Jul 28, 2012

GeraldW wrote:

BTW, I do have a DSLR, a 60D, and it weighs 45 oz. with the 18-135 mm lens. It doesn't go on many trips with us. However, the Panasonic FZ150 does travel with us. Well, at least until the FZ200 replaces it. 600 mm equivalent at f/2.8. If I told somebody in 1990 that we'd have that by 2012, they'd have me committed.

The FZ200 has a 4.5-108 / 2.8 lens, which is equivalent to a 25-600 / 16 on FF, where by "equivalent to", I mean it has the same AOV (angle of view), same DOF and diffraction softening), and puts the same amount of light on the sensor for a given shutter speed (resulting in the same noise for equally efficient sensors).

'Course, digital sensors are a lot more efficient than film, so, sure, back in 1990, a cam like the FZ200 would have seemed unbelievable. Even today, there's no 25-600 / 16 lens for FF, and if there were, the system would still be much larger, heavier, and more expensive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow