ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
Buy Now or Wait?
Jul 28, 2012

"Should I wait to buy a D800?"

I know this is the question of the year, but I am concerned with all of the issues with the D800, and now with Thom Hogan giving the camera a NOT RECOMMENDED status, I am even more concerned. (I also noticed on Thom's site this morning that he has some more recent data with 100 cameras at local shops that seems to be encouraging, but not conclusive).

I have the money saved now, but I will also need to get a good walk-around zoom lens to go with it, and I have decided on the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8. I was thinking maybe it would be best to buy the 24-70 now, and then wait another few months before getting the D800 and see what the landscape looks like then.

But as always, there are some other things to consider:

-I have been using a D90 for the last 5 years or so, and I have been ready for an FX body for a while now, but I could continue to use the D90 with the new 24-70 lens for a while.

-I can't afford both the body and the lens right now. I am thinking I need another month or so of saving (I am also selling a few things on eBay).

-I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII lens that will work just fine with the D800, so if I get the body now, it won't sit around unused.

-I am getting married in October, and if I don't buy the camera now, I may never be able to get it!!! (This is probably the biggest reason to get it now!!! )

I realize this is one of those questions where there is no answer, and maybe it just helps me to be able to type out my thoughts here in a public forum, but I would also love to hear any other input or advise from those that have bought one, or from those who decided to wait.

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WaitNew
WaitNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow