Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Phil Reese
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 400mm f/5.6 & Sony SLTs (A77)
In reply to Phil Reese, Jul 28, 2012

As promised, here are my test result shots! A few things to note when looking:

I have the non-macro version.

All shots handheld at 1/250 with SteadyShot (I don't have the most stable hands).

All shots are straight JPEGs from the camera (+3 sharpness, +3 contrast, +0 saturation).
All shots used manual focus with focus peaking.

DPReview's image processing does something terrible to the photos once uploaded; they look better on my local computer.

My initial impression is that this lens is far better than I was expecting, and the color rendition seems very nice. Below are a few of the first image samples, resized to fit upload requirements.

Upon pixel peeping, it's easy to see how this lens falls short compared to my other lenses in sharpness, haloing, etc, but it should serve it's purpose well as a bit of extra range on my upcoming trip.

100% crops:

I think the middle shot is the best and the best example of this lens's strengths. On the marigold photo I'm pretty sure my focus is just off. Hope this is useful to someone!

Phil Reese's gear list:Phil Reese's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow