Third party lens support?

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
chris_j_l
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: Third party lens support?
In reply to britcam, Jul 28, 2012

No, I don't have any facts or otherwise - I am looking at just this issue though. I have a K5 and and am wondering, slowly, if I should disengage from Pentax after 6 very productive years.

Sigma new lenses all seem to be Sigma/Canon/Nikon with Sony as the preferred extra mount. It seems that the last decent spec lens with K mount they produced was the 85mm f/1.4. This I presume is because C/N/S and others will license their mount and the only sane way to get K mount compatibility (with AF) is to reverse engineer it - with the DMCA and increasing complexity, I suspect it is just too much for too little gain and what we are seeing is Sigma slowly running out support while still leveraging some IP on sure fire sellers.

It's similar with Tamron - I've always been impressed with their optics, but the reversing of the K-AF mount has been less than impressive. And it shows in their current line up - it seems to be a few clearance items and that is it.

If anything is going to change, then Pentax/Ricoh need to license the mount - possibly going to Sigma/Tamron and getting into partnership.

Personally I think it may have already gone too far - u4/3 seems to be the new mount on the block - there is lots of noise (but only 2 bits of glass) from Sigma and others and the Pentax lens roadmap from Jan/Feb looked less than impressive.

As it is, I have just borrowed a "try out" 5dmkii and we'll see how that fares - there is no TAv and the high ISO (3200+) is nowhere near Pentax State of the Art, but there's no shortage of 3rd party kit and the viewfinder is to die for.

C

chris_j_l's gear list:chris_j_l's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 60Da Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow