Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,325Gear list
Like?
OMD E-M5 "ISO-less" test.
Jul 28, 2012

I was surprised to find in one thread that some people consider OM-D (or any other camera) "ISO-less" or close to this.

This is related to thread "OM-D: No exposure compensation in M-Mode" http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=42123230 and it's about the question - in less than optimal light, should I raise ISO to do ETTR or underexpose at lower ISO?

My goal in this test was to not overexposure girl's skin in bottom left corner. So I set exposure for that. Then I wanted to preserve shadows and boosted the shadows in PP.
1st shot - exposed to the right with ISO 3200.
2nd shot - underexposed by 3 stops with ISO 400.
3 EV difference is a typical scenario for Auto ISO.

You can see the results. To me it's clear that underexposed shot lacks contrast and detail. The brightest object luminance is the same, but darker areas are faded with underexposed shot. Can't recover that in PP.

Crops from well exposed shot at ISO 3200

Crops from underexposed shot at ISO 400

Full JPEG. ISO 3200

For those who are interested RAW files are available here http://www.mediafire.com/?jtx9c13abbsw21s

For both files I did the same processing, except that for file underexposed by 3 stops I raised ISO in Lightroom by the same 3 stops.

If you find that the skin is underexposed by about 0.7 stops in "well exposed" RAW file - this is intentional. This is what you get if you don't use exposure compensation with E-M5.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow