Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Geoffrey Kitt
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
A tale of two diopter lenses ........
Jul 28, 2012

I was on holiday in Ireland a few weeks ago when I noticed that the +2 diopter lens was missing from my XP1. People must have wondered what I was doing as I backtracked our route through the streets of Dingle with my eyes firmly fixed on the ground rather than the pretty painted buildings. But I didn't find it.

So that night, back at the hotel, I ordered another from at the same UK supplier who had supplied the lost item.

The next morning I received an email thanking me for my order which would be fulfilled just as soon as stock arrived from Japan. Arrggghhh!

So next onto eBay to look for one there. Although there were no Voigtlander lenses, I found a couple of sellers offering +2 Nikon lens - which I knew would also fit. So I bought one of those and was delighted to find that it had already arrived in the mail when I returned home from my holiday.

My delight turned to frustration, however, when I fitted it and peered through the viewfinder. It just didn't seem as clear. Although the projected viewfinder information could be seen clearly, the image itself was rather blurred. Since I didn't have the Voigtlander lens to compare it with any more - that was still somewhere in Ireland - it was hard to be certain but the Nikon lens didn't seem to match my eyesight as well.

Yesterday the new Voigtlander turned up from Robert White. Much better! And completely different optically to the Nikon lens.

The Nikon lens is clearly marked as a +2 diopter but certainly isn't the same as the Voigtlander. Neither does it have a rubber-coated frame but a knurled metal edge (which might be important if, like me, you wear spectacles).

So, there you are. Apparently not all diopter correction lenses are the same.
--
http://www.pbase.com/gDallasK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gDallasK

Geoffrey Kitt's gear list:Geoffrey Kitt's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS 100D Fujifilm X-E2 +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow