Thom Hogan a little more optimistic now . . . but

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,851Gear list
Like?
That's progress but for the issue to really go away ...
In reply to Rich42, Jul 28, 2012

Like Thom I've noticed a significant drop at the beginning of July in the number of posters stating that their cameras have the infamous left AF sensor issue.

So thank you for that Nikon (although not a minute, or day, or week, no months, too early ;))

But that is not enough to see the issue go away even if all cameras shipped from now on have perfectly calibrated AF sensors. Nikon still needs to make it good for those D800 owners who've bought the camera before the issue was fixed at production:

• Inform current owners that their cameras may have the issue and encourage them to test the camera

• Provide an SOP for the test

• Encourage owners of cameras with the issue to return these, if needed organize the flow of cameras to service centers to prevent these to be overwhelmed and users to wait too long for the bodies to be fixed

• Offer to pay for shipping to the service centers in countries where these costs are at owner's expense, reimburse those who've already paid for it

• An apology would be nice.

Nikon has done quite well by its customers in the past, although often it's always been slow to take control of issues. So - call me optimistic - but I still believe that Nikon may take the right actions.

If Nikon doesn't then it will be a stain on its reputation which won't go away, just like the 1FMkIII fiasco has left a stain on Canon's reputation that won't be forgotten anytime soon.
--
Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
How?New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow