Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug K
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
refurbished lense quality
Jul 28, 2012

I recently purchased a canon t2i refurbished slr with 18-55 and 55-250 efs canon lense from adorama. Both lenses are also refurbs.This is my first venture into slr cameras but i have owned many canon point and shoots dating back to the canon a95.

I am very happy with the picture quality of the camera and the 18-55 lense. I noticed that the output of the 55-250 lense though is soft and lacked detail at short and longer zoom focal lengths, especially at longer focal lengths. I know photos become softer at longer focal lengths with cheaper lenses.

Something was telling me though that the output of the canon 55-250 efs lense was not right. So i went to the local best buy store knowing they have a no hastle return policy. I found the II version of the same canon 55-250 efs lense on sale for 240.00$

Once home i took many photos comparing the refurb and the new version of the same lense. I took the photos at the same ISO, same distance same subject etc to insure that I was getting the same pictures for comparison.

Comparing the photos close up on my 27 inch monitor confirmed my suspicions. The new lense from best buy was much clearer and sharper at every focal length in almost every single picture with the execption of a very few. The difference was very obvious even to my untrained eye.

I sent the refurb 55-250 lense back. for a refund. Was the glass in the refurb lense bad and not up to manufacture specs thus the reason being sold as refurb?Should I just keep the new version II lense knowing the glass quality is good or go for another used or refurb model to save 100 dollars?

Your thoughts and experience are appreciated. Im leaning towards keeping new model of lense since im happy with picture output even though I had to pay more.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow