Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jared Willson
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Leica X2 in Yosemite
Jul 27, 2012

I just spent the week in Yosemite National Park with the kids and took along my new X2. These are my first results with the X2, and I'm pretty impressed! The camera was easy to use for both casual shooting and some more careful snaps, and the results are quite good (at least in terms of image quality--you can judge for yourselves the artistic value if any).

Landscapes were mostly hand held (a couple on a tripod, though I couldn't tell you which). Exposure was set in aperture priority with a custom white balance and -1/3 EV exposure compensation. Mostly manual focus with hyper focal distance set using the "green bar" in the LCD preview screen. The image with my son in the foreground included fill flash from the X2.

All post processing was performed in Lightroom 4 (which came with the X2). No adjustments to hue or saturation--just exposure, contrast, white point, black point, shadows, and highlights. Everything else was default values.

Monochrome processing was a straight desaturation with re-adjustment of exposure, contrast, white point, and black point.

In other words, this is what you can expect with moderate care but only 30s or so of processing out of DNG's from the X2.

I'm actually really pleased with the results from this pocketable, fixed focal length camera. The use is very intuitive, the menu structure extremely simple (simplistic, even), and it is reasonably quick for images of the kids and such. While these images don't show it since they were focused manually at the hyperfocal distance, the autofocus seems quite accurate. The noise is well controlled up to ISO 1600 or so.

Does it represent a good value? Of course not. Nothing from Leica does. But if you want a backup to your M9, aren't worried about the cost, and want something capable of producing high image quality up to the diffraction limit of f/11 or so, this is a great little camera.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow