Sensor tech in X cameras.

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
MiTaka
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
Re: Sensor tech in X cameras.
In reply to 57even, Jul 27, 2012

57even wrote:

Have you got pics? If the connectors are differently positioned it does indicate a different underlying architecture.

Sure, they are everywhere.

However, it seems odd (to me anyway) that they would go to all that trouble when the basic silicon level design of the Sony chip is so good (read noise, amp noise etc). Adding a new colour array to the same sensor and using ones own image processor will still provide all the advantages of the Xtrans design.

Given the low absolute volumes produced and the fact that most Toshiba fabs are for small format chips, this seems like an expensive route to take. Doesn't mean they didn't, I'm just speculating.

My source for the Sony derivation was industry based and won't appreciate being quoted, which does not mean he was correct of course. Nor does it mean that Fuji did not design the chip but outsource the fab to Sony, or that it was not a redesign of the "old" 16MP chip offered to Fuji but made on the same line.

Most Japanese companies are pragmatic in the extreme and will source parts (or the making of those parts internally designed) from the best available supplier. Insourcing is generally only done when there is no alternative.

Hence it is likely that the fab itself is outsourced, though who to is not really known at present it seems. Since I am not aware that Tosh have made any APSC chips to date my hunch does tend towards Sony in this case.

I did not say that X-Trans is produced by Toshiba. Just that it is not the popular sony sensor. Why Sony will not manufacture custom sensor? It's a small quantity chip, why bother? Also it gives a competitive edge over their hallo product nex-7. Nikon refused to give fuji competitive bodies, so why to give competitive sensor? This is pure speculation, I have already summarized the known facts.

-- hide signature --

Dimitar Ivanov

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow