NEX-5N or RX100 for novice photographer on trip to Paris

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Binone
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-5N or RX100 for novice photographer on trip to Paris
In reply to jharrier, Jul 27, 2012

I've used a NEX-7 and also have a RX100. Comparing results from the NEX with the kit lens to the RX100, in many cases, the RX100 provides better IQ, simply because its lens is better. When I compare shots made with the NEX and the Zeis lens to the RX100, the NEX is better - again because of the lens. Someone else said that the most important thing is the skill of the photographer, and I agree with that completely. A P&S camera in the hands of a skilled photographer will yield better images than an expensive dSLR in the hands of someone who doesn't know what he's doing. So, what's most important is to learn how to use the camera that you have, and your ability to see.

That said, you shouldn't underestimate the value of being able to put the RX100 in your pocket so that you always have a good camera with you. On the down side, the manual that comes with the RX100 is pitiful - Sony should be ashamed of themselves for, essentially, not providing a manual either in print, or on pdf, for such an expensive camera. There are a lot of features and customization possible and, basically, you're on your own to figure them out. So, if you get a RX100, get it well before your trip so that you have the time to learn how to use it before you get to Paris.

Whichever camera you bring, I'm sure that you'll enjoy Paris.

Binone's gear list:Binone's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow