Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Any 16-45 f4 AL users
Jul 27, 2012

I'm looking to get a better zoom lens for my K-30 on which I now use the 18-55 WR. I noticed that the 16-45 f4 AL got a great review on Photozone where he called it a "consensus Pentax zoom". The MTF scores are really high at all focal lengths, and although it has a shorter zoom range than the 18-55, it's wide end which equates to 24mm in FF terms is interesting to me.

Question: To people who have used one or both the 18-55 WR and the 16-45 f4, is there a noticeable increase in sharpness between the two lenses?

If sharpness is similar between the 16-45 and 18-55 WR at their best apertures, I may just get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 or put the zoom purchase on hold and pick up the cheap and wonderful DA 35 2.4 and/or the new DA 50 1.8.

I'm also interested in the 17-70 f4 SDM which I would buy in a second if it weren't significantly more expensive than both the Tamron 17-50 or the 16-45 (I do eventually want to get an SDM lens as owning Nikon gear quiet AF is nice to have. But my budget is currently not going to allow a super high grade zoom so I'm trying to get quality gear without breaking the bank).

Anyway, I also have a 40 2.8 Limited which is fantastic in every way, but I want to upgrade the WR kit lens mainly for the wide end and I don't currently have the budget for a 16-50 2.8 or Sigma 18-50 2.8.

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving the K-30 and now want to expand my selection of Pentax glass. Thanks in advance for any advice and all the best, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow