Full-body shots: To Eye-level or not To Eye-level?

Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,265Gear list
Like?
Makes sense to me
In reply to Dave Martin, Jul 27, 2012

Dave Martin wrote:

TotalNeophyte wrote:

I'm really at a crossroads. I am doing a progression shoot of a few subjects, and I am deciding between shooting them at the center or at eye-level and angling the camera downwards.

I believe in "natural" and the camera as a stand-in for the viewer's eye.

When a person looks at another person, it is natural to look them in the eye (with eyes at the same level.) It is the only socially equal way of looking at someone else.

Therefore it is the best neutral (demeans/promotes neither subject or viewer) view unless you are trying to project dominance or submission.

Dave in Iowa

PS I have no training in psychology so the above may be hog-wash. What do you think?

I think it's a reasonable analysis; one naturally accomodates the perspective effects of an eye-level view of a person.

Now if you did have training in psychology, you would have been more able to write hogwash.
--
Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow