AF-S 24-70mm f2.8G ED replacing my prime lens

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
X-Sync
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108Gear list
Like?
Re: AF-S 24-70mm f2.8G ED replacing my prime lens
In reply to wasserball, Jul 27, 2012

Simple answer: Yes.

I also owned the 24mm F2.8 and still have the 50mm F1.8. The 24-70mm is a very good lens. 24mm is its weakest focal length, but its still a good performer here. In terms of sharpness its better than my old 24mm prime, but has more distortion. However its easy to to correct in post processing. The 50mm F1.8 is better side by side at F2.8, but once you get to F4 you can't see the difference. Again the 24-70mm is good wide open at 50mm, but not as good as the prime at the same aperture.

I've never used the 85mm F1.8. But I can assure that the 24-70mm is excellent at 70mm and will make a very good portrait lens.

More importantly, with the 24-70mm you get very good optical quality at every focal length, especially stopped down a bit and you don't need to swap lenses. It focuses quickly and quietly so you miss fewer shots. If the focal range of the zoom suits your shooting, then get one. Its the best zoom lens I've ever owned as far as optical quality is concerned.

Simon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow