EOS-M Who is their target audience???

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brian Slater
Regular MemberPosts: 285
Like?
Re: EOS-M Who is their target audience???
In reply to Andrew Butterfield, Jul 27, 2012

Andrew Butterfield wrote:

Sony have found that their biggest problem with the NEX is the range of lenses, hence the lens road map they keep banging on about. They know that having adapters is not the way forward. People expect small lenses on small cameras.

And they expect a range of lenses...

It's a brand new system. Canon, more than any other company has proven they can release a superior range of lenses for a a new system over a relatively short time period (that is what happened when EOS was developed). They have cameras in almost all segments and have to produced lenses for all of those (and don't usually farm their design work out to other companies). Already this year they have released many new lenses across their lines. They have new patents for many interesting lenses and push the envelope for technological advance (DO lenses for example).

They are also secretive about their plans; I don't expect a road map for EF-M. But they will have one internally for sure, and new lenses will be well on their way through the design and production phases. Everyone will have their own list of desires for lenses, just as for camera features. But maybe we could look at the EOS-M design and marketing for clues. Small, light, minimalist, but with attention to detail. The first two released are arguably the most desired by the most people. The next releases will be telling. I think they will release small, relatively fast primes in the wide, normal and short tele lengths and a small moderate tele zoom. Maybe a more compact or collapsible zoom at some point. If I was putting money on it, I would wager that some of these will be announced this year (for Photokina perhaps).

If they don't manage this, and also release a more enthusiast-oriented body in the next year or so, the EOS-M system will end up in the same museum as the Nikon 1 system and Sony will win the mirrorless wars. Maybe Canon doesn't care, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow