D800 + Zeiss 21mm ZF/2 - This is what's it's all about...

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
D800 + Zeiss 21mm ZF/2 - This is what's it's all about...
Jul 27, 2012

I barely use the AF, but when I have it has performed beyond my expectation with my D800, that is with my second D800 anyway. I was out on a remote beach in the UK 2 nights ago, in near pitch black and the D800 could still pick out focus on a sea stack with my 70-200 VRII from 200 yards. Quite staggering actually - it managed something my eyes could not, I've never had a camera that did that before.

Anyway, all that's by the by, the D800 is made for manual focus and landscape for me - it's really genuinely the only DSLR available any landscape photographer who's serious about their output should use. The more I use it with my Zeiss 21mm ZF.2 though, the more I'm astounded by the quality that comes out. Forget Thom Hogan and those who reckon this body is not fit for purpose - these are the same people who want to run comparisons with the 5DIII all day - a generalist camera which doesn't come near the quality of the D800 for landscape. It's a pointless and futile continually boring comparison.

Enjoy what the D800 does best instead...

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow