D4 + 500MM f4 + TC20E III bird photos

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
michaeleclark
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 + 500MM f4 + TC20E III bird photos
In reply to RichardBedford, Jul 27, 2012

Have not tried it with the 500 yet for BIF. But there is no reason to think that it will not work well since Reddish Egrets, when feeding, move much faster and more erratically than most (but not all) flying birds. I have used the TC20E III with my 70-200 for hundreds of BIF shots (spoonbills; wood storks; etc), and that combo also worked well. Will have more BIF/500/TC20E III shooting opportunities in the Fall.

As to the degradation of the other TCs, it is mostly (to my eye) in the reduced contrast domain. The images do not pop as much. Sharpness seems to be equivalent generally. Maybe it is the Nano Coat on the 20E III.

Regarding the focus speed at f8, I coul detect no slowing when compared to shooting without the TC. Focus was almost instantaneous! Way, way better than when trying to use the TC 20e III and an f4 lens on my D700. No hunting, virtually no misses. But consider, the light was very good, I was shooting against a low contrast background, and I was only using the center focus point since it is the most sensitive. Can't attest to its speed under less ideal conditions.

Mike

michaeleclark's gear list:michaeleclark's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow