Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
narddogg81
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
Tamron 70-300 VC pretty freaking good
Jul 27, 2012

I recently got the tamron 70-300 vc because i am tired of lugging my nikon 70-200 around while hiking, and becasue i dont want the extra weight on my upcoming trip to ireland (will use the tamron for telephoto landscape, maybe some people, and architectural detail shots). Wasnt sure what to expect, but am very pleasantly surprised with all aspects of the lens. Its not as tack sharp as my nikon, but it has longer reach, weighs half as much, and takes up considerably less bag space. I was also incredibly impressed with the effectiveness of the tamron VC vs the SR in my 70-200. Here was a test shot i did indoors, worst light imaginable, 300mm, wide open, iso 800, just to get the shutter speed up to 1/10. While not tack sharp, it is a very, very impressive stabilization result in my opinion, especially wide open and at a somewhat higher iso. By standard reckoning i should be using a shutte speed of 1/450th of a second at this focal length on a crop sensor camera. I was getting pretty much 100% sharp shots on stationary objects in the 1/13 -1/20th range at 300mm. remarkably effective stabilization, the best ive used so far between nikon, canon, and sigma. Does not replace the 70-200 2.8 by any means, and i would probably get better IQ if i used that lens with a teleconverter, but for the price ($350!), size, weight, and stabilization, this lens is a stone cold steal.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow