Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GregggG
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
D 700-Oldsmobile 2012 Reunion
Jul 27, 2012

Once a year, the Saturday of Father's Day weekend, Classic Oldsmobile's and their owners come to their production home in Lansing, Michigan. In Lansing, it is more than a wonderful car show - it is a bittersweet trip to the time when the manufacturing prowess of Michigan moved the world. Local folks and former factory workers meet with many warm people from around the country to see these gorgeous beasts of chrome, foundried steel and raw horsepower. It is a time to swap stories between the people that made these autos and the people that made them formidable once more. It is an exquisite reminder of how much is no longer here.

"This is not your father's Oldsmobile." That sales slogan didn't play too well here in Lansing. I remember "my father's Oldsmobile(s)" and it was a hell of a car. The first one I could drive was a mid-seventies Brilliant Red Vista Cruiser. In nearly 20 years of service it hauled our family to and about, required only routine care and always toed the line. It took 6 kids to the Drive-in, out maneuvered any snowstorm, loaded 20 bags of groceries, had a killer stereo and when I first got my chance to test it out I cruised down 4-96 til I hit a hundred miles per hour and was scared enough that I knew I better not take it as fast as it could run.

So, if you are in the Michigan region next year, feel welcome to stop by (the show and parking is free) and catch some of these machines that remind us of when gas was cheap, horsepower ruled and America's muscle flexed in Michigan.

More in the gallery here...

-- hide signature --

-Greg.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow