A few remarks on 'correct exposure'

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Franklin
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Re: Exposure vs brightness
In reply to ultimitsu, Jul 26, 2012

I must thank David Hull for making many of the points I would have, had it not been for his contribution.

Sir(?), your lack of knowledge about the whole spectrum of photo technology and the obvious chemical precursors of current digital imaging technology are breathtaking. As it happens, I am one of those people who was highly informed and involved with chemical film parameters and manipulation and was very aware of all the topics that are so explored here now, in digital form, in their original film variants - such as DR, color accuracy and shifting color, reciprocity failure, noise [grain], and interpreting graphs of exposure sensitivity of various film emulsions, etc. I ran my own E-6 film lab, in-house, at my studio, and also then scanned the best frames, in-house, on my own drum scanners to yield and retouch digital files (starting in 1996), probably well before you ever heard of such things. Later, around 2003, I switched my studio to an all-digital workflow, using only digital backs and digital cameras, and provided digital photography and retouching services to some of the biggest corporate clients in the world. I have been painfully aware of nearly every limitation of digital capture since then, including DR and underexposed image noise and banding. I know an awful lot about all of this tech stuff and have worked around digital limitations for more than a decade. All told, I would have to say that I am quite a forward thinking person and nearly the antithesis (look it up if you have to) of a "creature of the past." I would have to say, however, that your knowledge seems to be quite a narrow one.

All the tech stuff that is so over-exposed here is amusing, intersting and, of course, has some bearing on the quality of photos - the actual point of the digital photo process. However, technical knowledge of imaging sensors is a very small if necessary part of a good photo education, either formally taught or self-learned, with the vastly greater balance being about matters distinctly unrelated to digital captures devices and cameras, sensors and their capacities and measurements. Knowing everything about that subject, plus $2.00, will get you a small cup of coffee at Starbucks. To make a great image, there is a universe of things one must know about - things like lighting, mood, art history, people, subject matter, composition, color, movement, the effects of aperture and shutter speed in all their permutations, lens focal length and its effects, business practices and hundreds of other things. This is what makes up the majority of a good photo education. That is why I said what I did in my last post. I hope you have a better grasp of it now.

Regards,
David

-
Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow