ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iwaddo77
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Indoor pre-dinner family photos
Jul 26, 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about taking some family 'pre-dinner' holiday photos for the first time with my newish 600D.

I'm sure we've all taken them, mother and daughter, brother and sister, all dressed up and ready for dinner in a hotel lobby or restuarant entrance under all sorts of artificial lighting. Previously, I've used my TZ-10 without flash and the results are OK as snaps but not particularly brilliant. I've tended to avoid using flash as they always appeared flashed-out but to be fair to the TZ-10 the ones taken on auto were often OK.

For my 600D I really only really have two lenses available, a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS and a Canon 50mm F1.8 II. I do have three others lens from the early 90's my father-in-law has passed to me, they are an EF 38-76 f4.5-5.6, EF 35-105 f4.5-5.6 & EF 75-300 f4-5.6 but I can't imagine they'd do any better then the two I mentioned.

I need to take three type of pictures head and shoulders, waste up and full length, all have to be taken quickly, my family are very impatient and of course hungry at this time so there is no hanging about. Often they are stood in front of a wall but occasionally there is no background for quite a distance as they may be stood in the entrance or doorway to a large open restaurant.

Any help or guidance about camera set-up and lens choice would be appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow