RX100 quick impressions (hey, some NEX users care!)

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
RX100 quick impressions (hey, some NEX users care!)
Jul 26, 2012
  • Zoom control tells you the magnification, but not the focal length until you look at a captured picture. I've worked out that 1.3x = 35mm

• On restart, it does not remember the focal length.

• Manual mode does not support Auto-iso. That would be the ideal setup for with explicit control of both shutter and aperture via dials.

• Auto-iso, while supporting min and max ISO, doesn't provide any control over min shutter speed (that I can find). I'd like to move that way up from 1/30 sec for street shooting.

• Stabilized video is very impressive. Too bad I don't do much video!

• Touching the glass of the lens while the unit is closed is easier than you might think. The blinds just open up under your finger if you put it there.

• It's heavy, the only deterrent from putting it in a shirt pocket

• The multi-metering doesn't seem too reliable I have a lot of over and underexposed shots. (But then I am testing in very contrasty lunch-time conditions, stealth shooting, etc. But the NEX seems to be much much better with this.)

• Close focusing is awesome, but you probably already knew that

• It takes three clicks on two controls to delete an image, up from 2/2 on the NEX (and two clicks on delete button on Nikon SLRs)

• The silent shutter makes a tiny tiny sound, close enough though

• Wheel configuration similar to NEX.

• If they ever make a similar model the same size, but (somehow) with a flip up touchscreen to focus/shoot, it would be the ultimate stealth camera.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow