Interesting Post: DPR and the Real World

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting Post: DPR and the Real World
In reply to chironNYC, Jul 26, 2012

I agree both 5D2 and 5D3 are fine cameras and can produce great photos. But the fact the guy was unaware of any shadow noise or banding is rather strange. I had a 7D and that camera had banding at low iso but it was after pushing it a little not alot. These were night shots with fireworks and a cityscape were I tried not to over expose the cityscape and fireworks leaving the sky rather dark and surrounding area away from cityscape. So I pushed the dark area maybe 2 stops and banding was quite apparent.

I redid the same photo, it was Niagara Fall by the way with D800. No banding with that camera. I could see this banding in a 8.5 by 11 inch print with 7D. So Canon needs to catch up. What really turned me off for the 5D3 was the ridiculous amount of noise reduction on the jpg files just so canon could say they improved the sensor. Thats trying to pull a fast one on the customers. Yes you can shoot raw of course but I know many who don't.

But in real use both canon and nikon have some great equipment. But since this is a gear oriented forum of course you are going to see the quality of the images made from each camera examined in great detail.

Canon can keep making little sensor improvements and still do quite well after all they have a HUGE user base. But that user base will shrink if they don't get there act together with better sensor tech. (not that the 5D3 is bad now) just not as good.
--
http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm

Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow