Worried about inconsistent blurry pics (GX1+14-140)...

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrmacmusic
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Worried about inconsistent blurry pics (GX1+14-140)...
Jul 26, 2012

I bought a GX1 (body only) recently before going on family holiday, and have to say I'm chuffed with it – it's a joy to use, and a big performance step up (IMHO) from my old GH1.

However.... reviewing our holiday snaps, it's clear that there are real inconsistencies regarding image sharpness – some are tack sharp whilst others are decidedly unimpressive. It's troubling me, and I'd like to get to the bottom of the problem and establish whether:

1) I have a faulty lens (hardware issue);
2) the GX1 is the culprit (hardware or software issue); or
3) I've lost the ability to work a camera (!)

I know what I'm doing with a camera, so I'm going to eliminate option 3 (although you never know), so I'm left wondering if the inconsistencies are through missed focus issues, or shutter vibration – has anyone else experienced the dreaded shutter vibration issue I've read about with the 14-140 lens? Shooting the same scene through 1/50 to 1/320 doesn't show any obvious problem, but I only tried this at one focal length.

I have to say I've never had inconsistencies when using the 14-140 lens on my GH1, so I'm not convinced about the lens being faulty. However a quick – and admittedly rather unscientific test – earlier has highlighted that in the middle of the zoom range (32 and 48mm), whilst focus was confirmed on the camera LCD, it actually ended up off (a little nearer) when the images are reviewed on computer. Focus was bang on at the wide and tele ends. These quick test shots were taken using the smallest single-area focus square size.

If I confirm autofocus (again using the smallest single-area square) and then gently tweak the manual focus ring, it's clear that the AF isn't quite settling in the right place. Could this be due to firmware??

So I'm left puzzled and concerned.... I guess I need to do some more thorough testing (of both lenses too) before I can draw firm conclusions, and any thoughts and advice on that front would be greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow