AF observation when using the K5 To beep or not to beep!

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,396Gear list
Like?
AF observation when using the K5 To beep or not to beep!
Jul 26, 2012

I have two DA* lenses which I thought had problems but it turns out they do not. Others may have also had this feeling. Let me describe what I experienced.

When using the K5 and doing a half-press to lock AF you are most often rewareded with the red box lighting up and an associated electronic beep from the camera. On numerous occasions I would do a half-press and the red box would liight up but no-beep was forthcoming. This became very frustrating because I prefer to hear the beep for AF confirmation and wrongly assumed the camera would always beep when AF was locked. I was at the point of sending a couple of the lenses in for "repair" due to this.

It turns out that if the camera is already focused for the subject (maybe from a previous shot) that the red box will light up but the beep is not produced unless the camera/lens actually is required to make a focus adjustment.

I began to start shooting when there was no beep but the red box lit and the photos were in focus. More often than not I rely on that beep to tell me I have focus lock but with the K5 you will not always hear that beep if the subject is already in focus. Just passing this along in case others had the same misconception about the beep for focus lock.

To test the theory I performed a number of shots on the same subject and noted that the beep ONLY occured when the camera actually made an "adjustment" in focus. I then defoucsed the lens manually and was always rewareded with both the red focus box lighting up and the expected beep after doing a half-press for focus lock.

This may be in the manual somewhere but I never saw it.
--
Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow