Bad RAW implementation in the NX 20MP cameras!

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
Re: Lol - This will be the same with all cameras - Learn what DR is
In reply to jonathanj, Jul 26, 2012

jonathanj wrote:

• a workaround is to tape the contacts. If I understand correctly, this removes all electronic link between the lens and camera?

Yes

So the camera doesn't do its strange processing, but at the same time there would be no autofocus?

definitely. and no aperture control. however, this was done for the fact that I'm not aware of which of the contacts would trigger the processing. one might want to experiment on this to see if autofocus and aperture control can be retained.

Does this also mean it would not work for focus-by-wire lenses?

yes. but as I mentioned, one may choose to try and cover each of the contacts to see if autofocus could work independently. the only way of being able to focus a focus-by-wire lens manually is to pre-focus the lens initially while the lens is live (which is a lot of work and highly inadvisable).

• another workaround would presumably be to use a lens from another system and an adapter. I don't suppose anyone who uses legacy lenses would be able to confirm this?

I see no reason why a non-live contact third party lens would work differently with such application done to make an NX lens work as one. the issue is more on the digital application rather than optical side.

also, as a third party lens owner and adapter, I can confirm that such effect is not present on any non-NX lens.

(Plus the obvious - don't expect to be able to rely on recovering shadows with samsung lenses until / unless this is fixed)

let's just say heavily underexposed images scenarios would be the right term.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow