Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Karl Rundblom
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
D7000 shutter faliure
Jul 26, 2012

The shutter of my ~15 month old D7000 died the other week after about 67000 exposures while doing a time-lapse. I send it to Nikon Sweden (where I live) and they want $ 665 to replace the shutter and sensor (and some cleaning and adjustments that follows). They claim that they can't replace just the shutter since the sensor and shutter is a unit (seems strange to me).

There's obviously no warranty left and I can't seem to find any claim from Nikon that the shutter should last 150 000 actuations (I recall seeing that on the nikon website but maybe they removed it from their website when cameras with broken shutters started to appear). That 150 000 figure is anyway probably just a mean life time and I suppose that I'm one of the unlucky ones.

So I find my chances of getting the camera repaired without having to pay very slim. I will of course try my best.

Anyone else that had a D7000 shutter die? After how many actuations and what was Nikon's response?

Do you think that Nikon has a better approach on shutter life for the D800 (i.e. they repair for free if < 200 000 actuations)? I don't need to upgrade but i need a camera i can trust (maybe that means that i need to upgrade).

The really ironic thing is that i got the Kata PL220 backpack to protect my gear just a few weeks before the camera died on me. My old D70s took A LOT more abuse and where always ready and happy to shoot away...

Karl Rundblom

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow