Concert photography

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
boulderdashcci
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: Concert photography
In reply to BrianD40, Jul 26, 2012

I actually have better luck using center-weight with some negative exposure comp (like -2) when shooting with ambient light. With what you have I'd definitely use the 50, using F2-2.8 and iso3200-6400 depending on how the lights are. Grain doesn't ruin concert shots, out of focus and washed out lighting does. Some bands use straight white lights and don't do the flashy thing, in which case things will be a lot easier. Red is the worst as it oversaturates everything.

When they move a lot, I use servo center point and burst, when they're fairly stationary I'll do one shot/single and focus recompose.

Depending on what kind of music it is, ask the band if they're ok with using the flash. Use it on a TTL cable and do some drags/second curtain and you'll get some really interesting stuff that captures the atmosphere, at least for the type of shows I go to. Ideally rent a fisheye or ultrawide for this kind of stuff.

Ambient:

Flash:

boulderdashcci's gear list:boulderdashcci's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow