Brand New ZS15 owner, need some help.

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
mackey1001
Contributing MemberPosts: 871
Like?
Re: Brand New ZS15 owner, need some help.
In reply to MickTarheel, Jul 26, 2012

MickTarheel wrote:

... I called Panasonic tech and the guy had no clue what ...

Hey, Micky! Looks like you've gotten some help and good advice from the forum, and (no surprise) little help from Panasonic tech support. I've almost never had good luck with any company tech support line, and usually end up telling them things they don't know

but if my ZS15 has a exposure compensation in the menu I haven't found it..yet

I'll add my suggestions:

• In "iA" mode, you don't have the exposure compensation option. It's available in most any other mode, for example "P" mode or even SCENE modes

• Since others will be taking pictures for you, you may want to take advantage of the "Custom" presets modes, that allow to customize settings and save them for quick use later. Then you have quick already preset options.

In your situation, I'd suggest a few ways to set up your camera:

1) You can use "iA" for general usage, and times when there is no challenging lighting indoors or outdoors (set the flash to iAuto mode, by clicking the RIGHT Button and selecting)

2) For -1/3EV Exposure Compensation with Forced Flash custom C1 preset, turn to "P" mode. Click the UP button to get to +-EV, click one time the LEFT button to go from 0 to -1/3 EV, click the CENTER button to select.

Then click the RIGHT button to select FLASH MODE. Click up/down to get to FORCED FLASH ON, and then MIDDLE menu button to select and Save.

Then, click the MIDDLE menu button, click 2 times RIGHT to go to SETUP, keep clicking the DOWN button to get to CUST SET MEM, click MIDDLE button to Select, select C1 and middle button, click YES to save to C1, to save your custom settings to the C1 option on your top MODE DIAL.

3) Now, while still in "P" mode, go to FLASH MODE setup as before, and this time select FORCED FLASH OFF and MIDDLE button to select.

Then, click TOP button twice to get to AUTO BRACKET MODE. Click 2 times RIGHT, to auto bracket +-2/3 EV and then middle SELECT button to save.

Then, like above, click the MIDDLE menu button, click 2 times RIGHT to go to SETUP, keep clicking the DOWN button to get to CUST SET MEM, click MIDDLE button to Select, select C2-1 and middle button, click YES to save to C2-1, to save your custom settings to the C2 option on your top MODE DIAL.

Note C2 is different, in that when you turn the top CONTROL DIAL to C2, you have to select C2-1, -2 or -3 (this setting have three available custom presets).

Hope I captured this correctly. If you do the above, you have 3 saved options for pictures that should cover most situations, and give you more chance of better photos:
1) first will be iA auto mode with auto flash when needed

2) second will be a -1/3 EV setting with forced flash for indoors or backlit scene, saved to C1 mode on dial

3) third will be a bracketed exposure mode that automatically shoots 3 pictures in succession with forced flash OFF at -1 EV, -1/3EV and +1/3 EV. Then, you can select afterward which of the 3 pictures you prefer. Very convenient, and quick option, for multiple shots all at one time.

Good luck, and hope this helps
-M1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow