Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848Gear list
Like?
APS-H for K3 (idea for discussion).
Jul 26, 2012

I've already bought my last bit of camera gear before Photokina. So I'm just speculating about new things Pentax could announce for the K3 at that time.

I thought of one interesting thing Pentax could do is to put 24 Megapixels in an APS-H sized sensor (Crop factor 1.28, instead of APS-C CF 1.52). The lower pixel density (opp: 24 in APS-C) would allow Pentax technology to raise the practical noise ceiling on ISO even further than they now do. Currently this is about ISO 800 for me, YMMV. In addition to APS-H mode at 24 MP, the new camera could also offer APS-C mode at 16 MP and even m4/3 mode at 8.5 (?) MP (for those wanting to shoot wildlife with a “free” 2X multiplier). Lenses which already have a “sweet spot” advantage on APS-C would still be pretty sweet in this new sensor even though it is larger and doesn't crop as much. APS-H offers slightly better DOF control than APS-C also. A 28-75mm FF lens becomes 35-96mm on APS-H and 43-114mm on APS-C and 56- 150mm on m4/3. Sort of a compromise between those wanting better low-light features verses better action/wildlife features.

Also APS-H doesn't require quite the processing power boost that FF would and the burst frame count could be allowed to stay higher/faster and the file sizes to be lower. Processing times shorter, (you get the drift).

• Regards.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow