V1, J1, OMD and NEX7, RX100...

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 886Gear list
Like?
Re: V1 vs RX100 vs OM-D vs X2
In reply to Jared Huntr, Jul 26, 2012

Jared Huntr wrote:

I think you missed my point. I stated from the onset that I shoot RAW, so JPG quality isn't important to me....but, if we are to entertain your post and analyze the comparison pics, let's stick within the parameters of that URL. We do not shift to comparing with unseen JPGs from your workflow.

Well, ok, lets stick with them then. I'll ignore your "I shoot raw" comments and you can ignore the same from me as you seem to be doing.

We all know that N1 has sharpness adjustments, so sharpening halos are a moot point - we can dial them out in the menu. The N1 also has NR settings, so why dwell on noise? However, a grey cast is more troublesome...there is no -GREY/MUDDY setting as far as I know.

I'm not sure what you mean by GREY/MUDDY. The only thing I can put a finger on is the fact that the default saturation is low and the default NR is high on the RX100. These can BOTH be changed. The default sharpness is also set very low. You are whining about the same sort of settings you defend on the V1 as being able to be changed.

You misinterpreted my analogy using a painting. My point is even a painting with brush-strokes can look photo-realistic if you observe it from the correct distance. p.s. I'm not sure if you realize that images optimized for printing do not necessarily look good when viewed 100% on a monitor. In many cases, you actually want to OVER-SHARPEN the image before printing or else they will look soft.

That depends ENTIRELY on your intended print size. The over-sharpening by the default V1 settings is more at-home on an 8x10 or smaller print. Larger prints will expose the halo issues the same as a screen will.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow