Canon cuts compact camera sales outlook

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
WillMc
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon cuts compact camera sales outlook
In reply to glanglois, Jul 25, 2012

It seems to me that this may be analogous to high end audio. I don't know about where you live, but almost all of the high end audio stores near me have closed. People seem happy with MP3 files playing through ear buds. If you want to assemble a high end system, you better live close to a major city; otherwise you aren't going to find a store.

I think the first camera company to build a truly first-rate collapsible standard zoom lens is going to own the compact camera market. I thought Panasonic had maybe done it, with their G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS lens. Put that on a GX1 and you have an excellent camera that you can carry in a belt pouch for the great majority of the shooting you'd want to do, and yet put a telephoto on if you ever get to go on that African safari. But the reviews all say that the lens is flawed.

Can you imagine a NEX 5N or 7 that you can slip into a pocket or belt pouch, and yet have a standard zoom lens on it? Or an EOS M? Or a good micro four thirds camera? I would cheerfully surrender my S95 for that.

If there is such a lens and I've missed it, someone please tell me about it.

WillMc's gear list:WillMc's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow