Dpreview should also change rating of D800(e) to not recommended.

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doug Frost
Contributing MemberPosts: 542
Like?
Re: It would be pointless for DPR to change the rating
In reply to drifter605, Jul 25, 2012

drifter605 wrote:

Doug Frost wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Nikon has not identified anything - please point to a single announcement FROM NIKON (not secondhand internet gossip) stating that they have identified this issue. I will pay you $10,000 in cash if you can point to a single announcement or release from Nikon.

Also, please post your sources for the claim that Nikon pulled existing inventory to re-calibrate, causing the shortage. Please provide a source, otherwise you are nothing but a gas bag.

Doug Frost wrote:

DPR should definitely NOT change their rating. Nikon has already identified the problem and is fixing the small percentage of cameras exhibiting it under warranty. And all signs point to the reason for the current short supply of both the D800 and D800E is that Nikon has pulled inventory from the sales channel to check and recalibrate existing units before they reach the consumer. This kind of thing frequently happens with new technology. I'm confident that it will all be sorted out in the next few months.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

Just because Nikon hasn't released a service advisory it doesn't mean they're not aware of the problem and fixing people's cameras. The evidence for that are the many people who have already posted about their repairs. It's a calibration and a firmware patch. It's done, problem solved. So you can stop your whining now. The evidence for Nikon pulling units to retest them are recent cancellations of shipping estimates by major retailers, most notably Amazon, which occurred three weeks ago--about the same time the reports of the fix started coming in. That, coupled with the fact that Nikon isn't stupid and it's in their best interest to do so, argues in favor of the theory that they are in fact doing it. If you don't buy that line of reasoning I really couldn't care one bit.
--
The gear is merely the means to an end, not the end itself.

Nikon UK don't seem aware even though they have had returns to repair!
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your email.

I would like to confirm that currently there are no recognised manufacturing problems with D800. Small percentage of cameras may be affected by certain issues, including loss of AF accuracy, due to various factors. If you find your camera not performing up to expectations, you are always welcome to have it readjusted in our Service Department within the manufacturer's warranty. Also, all conditions that fall under manufacturer's responsibility (and are covered by the warranty) can be fixed by our technicians.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again in case of any questions.

Kind regards,

Aleksander Nowak
Nikon Europe Support
http://www.europe-nikon.com/support

Well, there you go. That's the official announcement. It's in-line with what I've been reading about the problem, i.e., that the fix involves a re-calibration of the camera and a firmware patch. It's not a manufacturing defect and doesn't require the replacement of any parts. To me this sounds like really sloppy QC, which is inexcusable.
--
The gear is merely the means to an end, not the end itself.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow