Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kevinon
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
Switch from NEX-5 to OMD - your experience
Jul 25, 2012

When I bought the NEX-5 years ago I was very tempted to buy the EP1 at that time. But it was the Dynamic Range that turned me over to the NEX. I owned a Pentax with the first Sony Sensor before and relied too much on the Raw headroom which the EP1 was lacking.

I now own a few small m-mount lenses together with the NEX which deliver amazing quality but sometimes are limiting my photo opportunities (no IBIS, no Af, no EVF).

I read a lot about the OMD and it is a feature packed camera. I used it a couple of times in store and find the handling quite good. The main reason I'm posting this are the two quick&dirty shots I took with both cameras in the store. I uploaded high quality jpg's but if anyone wants the raw's just let me know.

Both cameras have identical settings in camera and also in lightroom. I deactivated all nois reduction and increased shadow recovery by 60 and reduced highlights by 100. Just to see how well they do. Both with their kit lens. No sharpening. Raw.

The reason why I pixel peep is because I printed quite a few of my pictures 24-32" and want the same capability from a new camera. Looking at these test shots and some others I took, I'm not there to pull the trigger for the OMD. I guess the Olympus kit lens is a really bad version but beside sharpness which was not the point of this test, the NEX recovers more details in dark areas and the noise seems to be less destructive to details. The floor has actually a visible pattern in the NEX shot.

What do you think and what's the other NEX owners OMD experience with shadow noise and details in comparison?

I wish there would be someone offering a OMD for rental in Toronto...

kevinon's gear list:kevinon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RAWsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow