From 1Ds MkII to MkIII? Worth it?

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Earthlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,139
Like?
Re: Just got my like new DsMkIII
In reply to A Owens, Jul 25, 2012

A Owens wrote:

Well done. I will be interested to hear your experience - how much better the images are you can get from the III .

Thanks! I only had time for a couple of quick snaps today. I shot cloudy sky with bright highlights and a dark pine & spruce treeline. I wanted to see the gradations in the sky, the noise character and the nature of the dark tones.

I immediately noticed that at ISO100 there really is no noise to speak about, even after I applied a slight curve to the sky. The tonality is superb. Maybe it is just a better sensor or maybe the 14-bit file really makes a difference. As to the dark tones the gradients were pleasantly solid and smooth. The file appears significantly more malleable than with the MarkII. There appears to be more DR as well.

All in all the smooth tonality and gradations - even if I had indeed hoped for them - were a positive surprise. I shoot loads of cloudscapes and night sky and this smooth tonality is a great thing.

Of course the screen looks incredibly large and bright and the menus are a pleasure to use. I love quick way to go between the center AF point and a point that you can register. Just press the joystick and voila!

The camera feels incredibly light. Maybe the difference in grams is not that great but it really feels much lighter in hand. And the viewfinder is HUGE even when coming from other full frame cameras. It is really bright and big.

I hope to shoot loads more in the coming days and ger a better feel for the camera. I will then report my expressions in greater length.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow