Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stroberaver
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In-car suction cup options - Manfrotto or Delkin
Jul 25, 2012

I'm looking at acquiring a mount for in-car use, stuck to either the inside of the windscreen or the side window (external mounting also a possibility once I've sorted out suitable tethers etc), for filming video with a lightweight camera.

The two most widely available options appear to be the Manfrotto 241V and the Delkin Fat Gecko. However reviews of either are in short supply other than those on Amazon, as well as a myriad of experimenting videos on Youtube.

The Delkin is effectively half the price of the Manfrotto and looks more versatile, but there are plenty comments about the flex in the mounts and the vibration this can cause. As my car is fairly stiffly-sprung, and with the state of the British roads, this concerns me. There are videos online demonstrating the vibration, but confusingly others also show a remarkably smooth image

The Manfrotto option looks much more heavily engineered, which is reflected in the price, but there are reports that it won't stick to anything curved - but how curved is curved? Pretty much every windscreen has curvature to it.

I won't be mounting a heavy camera on it - I'll be using my Sony NEX-5N and GoPro, but can't decide which to go for. Has anyone used either of these suction mounts and can help me decide, or suggest UK-available alternatives?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow