Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,300
Like?
Topaz Labs - great products, pricing, and great approach to customer care
Jul 25, 2012

I have been using Photoshop since Adobe absorbed a competitors editing product line around version 3.0, using a couple thousand dollars worth of plug-ins and actions including Lucis Arts, Color Efex Pro, Define, Neat Image, Ascough, Kevin Kubota and Parker J's action sets, Silver Efex Pro, as well as my own actions, and HDR software. The basic upgrades add over $500 a year for Photoshop and the plug-ins. That is for the most part history. To buy a complete suite of apps for every need except HDR for $255 and get free upgrades well into the future is the best value I have found by a wide margin.

Over the past year I have found myself going more and more to one of the Topaz Labs plugins as they provide a greater range of options and are faster to get the results I want. They are also able to provide greater subtlety. I prefer the Topaz Labs NR app which is on par with Neat Image and CS5 NR and better than Noise Ninja and Dfine. The Topaz Simplify produces more pleasing results with less time than Lucis Arts. The B&W plugin is as good as Silver Efex 2 which I also own.

Unlike most vendors, and in particular Adobe, the Topaz Labs licensing is very user friendly. I bought the version 3 complete bundle and the license covered two computers and they can be either Mac or PC or one of each. Moving a license from an old PC to a new Mac or vice versa is effortless which is in sharp contrast to Adobe where it took 3 weeks and I talked to people in 3 countries and had to fax in a signed licensing agreement to yet another group.

With Topaz Labs I have gotten free upgrades first to Version 4 suite applications and more recently to Version 5 plugins. I have paid nothing to move from PC to Mac and Mac to PC. I have paid nothing for upgrades over the past 3 years. The Topaz Bungle costs $145 less than Nikmedia's Color Efex 4 alone for my two editing computers (Mac workstation and Lenovo laptop).

I like that if I ever have need to reinstall the software I do not need to have an active internet connection to authenticate me as a legitimate owner and that does not count the dead computer as a active one for the license count as I have encountered with Adobe's products.

$255 is not small change (includes discount of TOPAZUSER promo code) but it is a lot less than what I expect most people, including myself end up spending on individual apps for noise reduction, black and white and color effects, action sets, and other Photoshop and Lightroom add-ons over the years. The Topaz Labs bundle includes a separate application for Lightroom (for Mac and PC) at no additional cost.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow