Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
StevieF
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
I was wrong
Jul 25, 2012

I was one of those who was grossly underwhelmed with the J/V 1 at launch and had a typical knee jerk reaction to smallish sensor, lack of PASM dial etc etc - but I think I was wrong! I have a D300 + stuff and had bought a P7100 as a carry-around as I get older!

I was also a bit snobbish about thinking that if I wanted to change lenses I'd carry the DSLR and do a proper job- none of the compact systems interested me, certainly not Nikon's offering!

DPRs review was less than enthusiastic of course (I've just re-read it) but I've been interested to see other reviews have been far more positive - particularly those done several months after launch?

Here in the UK, the price has fallen significantly - I have no idea how sales are progressing relative to target/expectations and maybe that's a factor as I now think the camera is a far more attractive proposition- image quality, as the main factor, was never criticised by anyone and is certainly better than my my P7100 - which I think is an amazing camera in its class.

For various reasons which I won't bore you with, I'm now thinking about a CSC and much to my surprise the J/V1 is the top of my list and I think that Nikon may have the last laugh in the long run- as one review said, "Nikon hasn't set out to compete with DSLRs but to augment them"

It's not perfect and I wonder whether Nikon will address bracketing, auto ISO performance ( but is it that much hassle to set in the menu??) etc but I also wonder whether any other enthusiasts are beginning to rethink these cameras after some time- or is it just current Nikon users like me who are having a rethink?

-- hide signature --

You may think that - I couldn't possibly comment.

StevieF's gear list:StevieF's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Ricoh GR Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow