Front Curtain Shutter Hand-held Images

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
nuzzart
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: Front Curtain Shutter Hand-held Images
In reply to NYCeditor, Jul 25, 2012

Sounds like you have very steady hands. With my now retired DSLR (KM 5D) I was usually able to reasonable shoot at 1/8 - 1/10 sec with IBS on. Anything below that I think was pretty much luck if it was sharp. That was why I was trying this experiment. I wanted to see where my bottom end was with the nex 5n/sigma 30mm combination without any stabilization. Given that I've only had the Nex 5n a little over a month, I might be able to improve on it slightly in time as I become more used to the feel of the shutter button. It's not something you would want all the time but it's nice to know you can do it if you need it.

NYCeditor wrote:

This is interesting. I just experimented with this, and got the same results. Disabling Front Curtain Shutter gave me usable sharp images (just like the bottom image in your examples) to 1/3, and even 0.4" with optical steady shot (kit lens). When FCS is turned on, neither shutter speed produce a sharp usable image, even with optical steady shot turned on. I'd be curious to hear others thoughts on this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow