Now that I've decided to upgrade...

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
macnmore
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Re: Now that I've decided to upgrade...
In reply to Robin Casady, Jul 25, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

I don't know what lenses he has, but he is barely scraping up the cash for the D800. So, it is important to consider whether new lenses will be required.

Where did you get I'm "barely scraping up the cash" from? If money was remotely an issue I would just stay with my D7000 or get the D700. I'm a bit of a techie as I've been a systems admin for the past 13 years and I tend to buy the latest and greatest computer gear just cause it's new. I wanted to make sure there was enough value to justify buying the D800 for what I do.

u007 wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

macnmore wrote:

do I really need 36mp?

I don't know, do you? You are professional photographer and you don't know enough to determine whether you need 12 MP or 36 MP? Come on, do the math. Figure out what impact the resolution difference will mean to your processing and end product.

I'm a portrait photographer that mostly deals with High School Seniors with the occasional family and maternity session.

How do you deliver images? Are they just wallet size portraits? Do you print 8x10" prints? How about 16x20? A 12 MP image from the D700 will produce an 8x10 print with better than 300 ppi resolution. If you print 16x20" then the D800 makes sense.

It would be insane to shoot 36 MP images to make wallet size portraits.

I assume you have a high volume of shots to process. If you shoot RAW consider the size of each file you will have to process.

D700 NEF 14 bit Lossless Compressed: 15-20 MB each shot
D800 NEF 14 bit Lossless Compressed: 40-50 MB each shot

If you shoot JPEG, I can't see the point in getting the D800 unless you want to print 16x20 or show them on a 10 ft. high res monitor.

I currently have enough to get the D800...and I'm leaning that way cause I don't want wish I had down the road. Never having shot either, I'm not sure if the extra $$ on the D800 would be that much more worth it.

Do you have the equipment to support the D800? You will need a fast computer with many TB of drive space, and top quality lenses to make the D800 worthwhile.

-- hide signature --

I disagree with almost everything here

Saying that the only reason to get a d800 is if you print big is such a myth. It has better autofocus, better dynamic range and better high ISO than the d700.

Which of those matter for high school portrait jobs? None.

If he retouches his portraits, the extra resolution helps greatly with that. It's why fashion and beauty photographers shot the 5d2, D3X or medium format.

I think he is talking high-volume for low pay here. Retouching takes time, and the higher the res, the more time it takes.

Detail is great for retouching skin and makeup and the super dynamic range makes editng files super easy, even with high contrast lighting. It's safe to say that the d800 has better image quality in every way than the d700. Plus more freedom to crop, video, dual card slots etc etc.

High school portraits are usually done in highly controlled lighting in a highly controlled sitting setup. He said he doesn't use video. If he shoots tethered, there would be more options for the D700 because the D800 is not supported by all of the software that supports the D700.

The D700 has excellent image quality.

You also don't need a super fast computer to process d800 files. That's another myth. Once they're imported into Lightroom or copied to your hard drive (which does take a bit longer) they can process at exactly the same speed as any other files. Exporting also takes a little longer, but it's not a huge difference. It's not like your editing process suddenly becomes painful.

Loading each file takes longer in Lightroom 4.1 as you move from image to image.

Storage - partly true, but hard drive prices, CF and SD cards are always falling and capacity is always getting bigger. It's the natural evolution of things, and as DIGITAL photographers, your computer is an essential bit of gear just like a lens or fllash. A 1tb hard drive costs about £65, and that would hold 22,000 d800 raw files. Even with a seriously heavy workload and keeping all files, you'll maybe fill two drives a year at the most. Not exactly a crippling amount of money or time.

He barely has the $$ for the D800, so upgrading storage would be a burden.

As for lenses, again I disagree. The cheap DX 35/1.8 is great on the d800 in FX mode. I've also used the 85/1.8D and can't complain. It's very sharp.

I don't know what lenses he has, but he is barely scraping up the cash for the D800. So, it is important to consider whether new lenses will be required.

Just my findings anyway from using the d800 for about 6 weeks now. I think the story that you only need the d800 for massive printing and you need to buy every AF-S prime to get good results and that you'll set your computer on fire.. I haven't found any of that to be true!

And I think that buying a D800 for high volume, low resolution work is foolish.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow