NEX-5N Poor IQ (sharpness)

Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Re: NEX-5N Poor IQ (sharpness)
In reply to Randy Benter, Jul 25, 2012

base on this graph it seem like Panasonic 14-45 is sharper and more even across the frame than Sony kit

Is Panasonic a better kit lens than Sony 18-55mm?

Randy Benter wrote:

Jefftan wrote:
Can you please explain how to read the graph?
it looks like a "net" and very strange to me

Thanks

The further you get from 0, the less sharp the lens is. The colored field represents the entire frame. So looking at the Sony results, you can see a tiny spot of purple in the center. This is the sharpest point and was measured by photozone to to have a resolution of 2680. But, as you move away from the center, the lens gets much less sharp. It is measuring 5 blur units (i think that's what slrgear calls it) in the corners. Photozone measured the corner resolution at 1880, which is much less than the center measurement of 2680. Notice how the Lumix lens stays almost perfectly flat (sharp) across the entire frame. The results are pretty consistent between photozone and slrgear. But at slrgear, one can compare across formats and I think the graphs are fast and easy to read once you get the hang of it. Go to their site and look at a few lenses; you will catch on pretty quickly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow