Whats the difference between Fine Art and Photo paper?

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Whats the difference between Fine Art and Photo paper?
Jul 25, 2012

Is there specific criteria that defines what is Fine Art paper and what is Photo paper?
I admit to being confused with this!

I have some Epson Premium Glossy photo paper (300 gms or 330 gms I think - I'm at work so haven't got the exact details to hand), and also some Epson Fine Art Smooth (not bright white) paper. I also have some Epson Fine Art non smooth surface paper and having used it a couple of times I'm struggling to decide what sort of prints would look best with a non smooth surface.
I'm using a 3880 printer with Epson inks.

I've been using Epson papers as it cuts out one area of printing hassle with profiles, but maybe I should get my head around this!

For colour photography I don't like the off white Fine Art paper so have been using the Photo paper.

For monochrome the off white colour of the smooth Fine Art paper is OK, but my preference would probably be a brighter white paper again.
I am mostly happy with gloss.

My wife on the other hand much prefers matte, so for her prints we've been using the Fine Art paper.
Is there a difference in longevity between Fine Art and Photo?

If we wanted to exhibit or sell prints should we be using Fine Art paper or is that irrelevant?

Is the Epson Premium Glossy Photo paper the best for fine detail A2 prints (it seems good but I have nothing to compare it with)?
What matte paper would you recommend for fine detail A2 prints please?
Thanks for any advice.
--
David

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow