13" MBA, 15" MBP, or one of the new Ultrabooks?

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rb0321
Contributing MemberPosts: 633Gear list
Like?
13" MBA, 15" MBP, or one of the new Ultrabooks?
Jul 25, 2012

Reading through the posts here it seems some folks are relatively happy with the 13" MBA for processing while travelling. I've got a couple year old 21.5" iMac (with 10MB RAM) I do most of my processing on at home (using VNX2 and PSE10 for now) and a 3 year old 13" MBP for travel. I've bumped the RAM to 4MB on the MBP (it came out of the iMac when I got the 2 - 4MB DIMMS for it) but the 13" MBP resolution isn't the best, nor is the speed. In a recent review I read (still looking for the link) that the LCD on the new 13" MBA doesn't have the DR of the 13" MBP, even though it has slightly higher resolution, which sounded kind of odd.

Has anyone here noticed this? I'd like to pick up the 13" MBA this weekend but although I'd like to keep the form factor small, maybe the 15" MBP would be better.

Another alternative is one of the new Windows ultrabooks that seem to have improved significantly in the last couple months. Anyone tried one of these yet?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow