Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
R. Slaughter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233
Like?
Re: Macro Lens Budget Options?
In reply to R. Slaughter, Jul 25, 2012

WOW! THAT's what I want to produce!
Y'all have stunning photos!

I'm feeling really dumb at this point because since I finally took the leap to DSLR last Christmas I have sorta wiped from memory the stuff I played with before; messing with fixed-lens prosumer digitals I used to cobble up all sorts of FrankenLenses, stacking tubes, adapters and M42 and Tmount stuff to build bizarre TCs. I even used to have a bellows-slide reversed prime Super Takumar on an OLY for a while. I really hadn't thought much about applying the same principles to the 7D as it wasn't stuck with a dedicated lens. But I see that you guys are obviously right, look at the results!
Ok, this means new questions:

Ext tube method: what approximate FLs are available using the rings in the link? Does AF work fully at 5.6 (200mm)? Would the 85 (the fastest I own) work well with this in low light? Would it be really too short? ~ I intend to shoot 'unfriendlys'... hornets,wasps, etc.

Reversing ring method:

Educate me; I've used these before with fixed lenses, "stacking" a small prime in reverse on them. Does the setup you're using actually employ TWO lenses, or does the reversing ring go right on the body?

Alternate: Does the FD adapter idea have merit, assuming availability of a cheap FD macro?

Thanks for all replies!

-- hide signature --

R. Slaughter
'DEMOCRACY' is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
'LIBERTY' is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.

C+54.772256^2Z

http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/galleries

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow