Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nuzzart
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
Front Curtain Shutter Hand-held Images
Jul 25, 2012

I have recently became a Nex 5n user and I've have noticed that if I disable the Front Curtain Shutter feature I can usually hand-hold the camera at a slower shutter speed. For example with the Sigma 30mm lens, at 1/10 - 1/15 sec. shutter speed, my percentage of crisp images is higher if I turn it off. Here is a 100% clip from two test shots (Nothing exciting, just a picture of a box with upside down text). Both are at 1/10 - f/10 exposure taken from about 6 feet. The upper one was with the Front Curtain Shutter on and the lower on off.

Yes, you could argue that I was lucky on the second one or that if I used a tripod they both would have been cleaner but clearly the second one with the front curtain shutter off is significantly sharper. If you look closely at the first one there are two distinct images almost like a double exposure. The same test shot with the Front Curtain Shutter on at 1/20 sec is as least as good if not better than the one with it off.

My only thought is that with the front current shutter off the slight delay provides time for the movement for my finger pressing the shutter to come to a stop before taking the exposure. Or is this some kind of artifact from the front curtain shutter?

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this and or any ideas on it?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow