Trouble deciding on upgrade body.

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jalmod90
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree with FF
In reply to ESfishdoc, Jul 24, 2012

Ray Chen wrote:

...The cameras I was considering are the Canon EOS 7D, 5D mk ii, and the 1Ds mk iii since I could get the first two new and the latter used for around the same price.

Just making sure your are not mistaking, but that is awfully inexpensive 1Ds 3. If the price is real, I would get the 1Ds 3, even with its slower FPS and the lacking of video.

-- hide signature --

_ _
| | | \ / |
| \ | | | | o

The 1Ds 3 was only about $200 dollars more than a New 5D2.

ESfishdoc wrote:

The differences in the cameras you are considering are huge.

I've seen used 1Ds Mk III's for about 2600... B and H has one right now.

Consider the 5D Mk II used at 1500 to 1800 range.

In comparing just the 7D to 5DMkII (I have both) I'd only go with the 7D if you knew you needed the superior AF and really did not want to go FF. Otherwise I'd go FF. (The 5DMKIII takes all the best from the 7D and 5DMkII... combines and improves.. and voila...a great camera at a premium price)

The gains with going to the 1DsMkIII are going to be durability, weatherproofing and better AF than the 5DMkII. When comparing used to used that is 1000 dollars more. If you need and/or want those features it might be worth it.

So my suggestion is go FF now... you will likely never regret it...

Richard

-- hide signature --

I've actually considered getting the 5D2 or 7D now that I've learned about the Canon Loyalty program. I get to save a bunch of money and use that money to buy better lenses. I'm also leaning more towards the 5D2 because I've had experience shooting 35mm w/ manual focus, so the FF realm is rather familiar to me (also why 7D's auto focusing isn't the most critical). I'd get the 5D3 if I were able to justify the price, or had the budget. Had a chance to play with that and the 1DX and they're amazing cameras.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll be making a purchase soon.

Jalmod90's gear list:Jalmod90's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow